Rudraksha is a term that is used to refer to the broad
leaved evergreen trees that can be commonly found in the areas lying
between the Gangetic plains and the foothills of the Himalayas. When
fully ripe, a thin blue color outer shell covers the seeds of Rudraksh.
It is owing to this reason that, sometimes the Rudraksha seeds are also
known as blueberry beads. The Rudraksha beads have a lot of
significance. Rudraksha is a popular traditional Indian medicine that is
extensively used to treat several kinds of diseases. To know more about
what is Rudraksa, read on…
In this section, we will throw light on the following aspects that will
make the meaning of Rudraksh absolutely clear to you.
History of Rudraksha
There is an interesting legend associated with Rudraksh.
In this article, we will provide you with information on the origin &
history of Rudraksha. The term Rudraksh basically refers to the tears of
Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva meditated for several years for the wellbeing of
all creatures. But, when he opened his eyes to see around, he saw people
in pain. To know the complete story of Rudraksha, read on.
Lord Shiva could not see the sufferings and miseries of people and
started shedding hot drops of tears. Mother Nature transformed the tears
and gave birth to the Rudraksh trees. The other names for Lord Shiva are
Rudra and the Lord of tears. Rudra is a term used to refer one who
relieves others from sufferings and pain. There are different forms of
Rudra, namely Water, Earth, Fire, Air, Sun, Space, Moon etc.
To grow a plant, we water it on a regular basis. Like the plants need to
be nurtured with water constantly, similarly to please the Rudra, there
arises a need to perform Rudrajapa. By doing so, one tends to attain
peace and real pleasure of life. So, let all of us get together and
chant Sri Rudram with full devotion. This in turn will help us achieve
our ultimate destination.
Power of Rudraksha
A person who wears Rudraksha gets all his sins washed
and heads his way towards his ultimate destination. The devotees of
Lord Shiva are usually given Rudraksha for peace. A person tends to
become pure after wearing the Rudraksha beads. People are of the
belief that, a person who offers food to the wearer of Rudraksha
reaches Rudraloka i.e. the Loka or kingdom of Lord Rudra. To know more
about the power of Rudraksha, read on.
The wearer of Rudraksha attains salvation and thus gets liberation
from the cycle of death and rebirth. It is believed that, a person who
chooses to wear Rudraksha with pearls, crystal, silver, gold and other
precious stones acquires the form of Lord Shiva. There is a lot of
significance of wearing Rudraksa beads. It not just pleases Lord
Shiva, but thrills the deities of all nine planets.
Rudraksha is an integral part of Lord Shiva. Since it is so dear to
the Lord, all the devotees of Shiva must wear it. The importance of
Rudraksh can be felt even by seeing it. It helps a great deal in
lessening the pain and sufferings of people. It fulfills all the
desires and wishes of the wearer. Rudraksh eliminates the fear of
untimely death. Since times immemorial, people have been wearing
Rudraksh for good health, wealth, attainment and salvation.
Benefits of Rudraksha
Rudraksh is one of the best means to invite the
Goddess of wealth.
There is no fear of untimely death to the wearer of
It helps in awakening the Kundilini.
It paves way for peace and harmony in life.
It helps a great deal in controlling stress levels.
It enhances self power.
Types of Rudraksha Beads
Rudraksha beads are basically the tears of Lord Shiva
that rolled down his eyes after seeing the sufferings of people. It is
owing to this reason that these Rudraksha beads are considered to be of
paramount importance. In the eyes of people, Rudraksh beads are the gift
of God to mankind. There are various types of Rudraksha beads available,
each having its own importance. To know about the different kinds of
Rudraksh beads, read on.
It is one of the costliest beads, which is rarely available. It is known
to bring luxury, power, wealth, and enlightenment.
It helps in building healthy relationships. It is believed to control
It aids in boosting the confidence of the wearer, thus enabling him to
cope with tough situations.
It helps a great deal in developing the power of speech. It is very
beneficial for treating the problem of stammering.
It raises the concentration level and power of gaining knowledge.
It is known to bring wealth, power, name and fame. It helps the wearer
in achieving eternal bliss.
It helps a person achieve what he desires. It enables a person to
It brings wealth and luxury. It helps to ward off evil spirits and get
rid of various forms of diseases.
It is said to be associated with confidence, good character, happiness
and sound health.
It enables a person to earn loads of wealth. It is said to be associated
with vigor and vitality.
It helps a person to overcome all his fears and insecurities.
It is suitable for those who wish to acquire an influential position. It
is believed to be associated with charismatic personality.
It is said to bring liberation from the worldly pleasures.
It is associated with power and authority.
It enhances the concentration power, thus enabling the person to acquire
It paves way for success and prosperity. It enables a person to achieve
all the comforts of life.
It helps in washing all the sins of the wearer, thus enabling him to
It helps in improving the immune system of the wearer. Thus, it aids in
keeping away the diseases.
It is believed to bless the wearer with marital and offspring happiness.
It is meant for those who want to leave all the worldly pleasures and
attain Moksha. It is usually worn by saints and Brahmins.
It protects the wearer from all the evils.
In Sanskrit, Rudraksha means “Eyes of Shiva” and is empowered with
mystical, spiritual and medicinal powers that enhance the well being
of the wearer. The beads also impart astrological benefits and it is
believed that the wearer of Rudraksha is always untouched by sins,
impious thoughts and deeds. The powers of Rudraksha are associated
with the number of mukhi (the clefts and furrows) or faces the beads
have. The Rudraksha bead can have a number of faces ranging from
1-38. The most common one is the 5-faced or Panchmukhi Rudraksha and
the rarest one is 1-face or Ekmukhi Rudraksha. Rudraksha comes in
four shades of fair, light brown, dark brown and black.
Scientific Research on Rudraksha
Ancient and contemporary Asian texts state
extensively about the beneficial healing powers of Rudraksha bead. In
recent times, the Rudraksha bead has gained significance again as a
mode of healing and also as a fashion accessory.
In recent years, scientific studies have been undertaken in India to
determine the extent and mechanism of the healing powers of Rudraksha.
One of the best known research papers was published by Dr. Subhas Rai
of the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras, India.
Dr. Rai's research confirmed that as scripted in the ancient
scriptures, Rudraksha beads do possess powerful electromagnetic,
paramagnetic and inductive properties. The healing powers of the
Rudraksha bead are derived from such properties.
Blood circulation and heart beats automatically induce a magnetic
field around the body and particularly the heart region. Accordingly,
a balancing force is exerted on the heart to regulate it if it starts
beating above or below normal rates. This action helps to ensure ideal
blood circulation in the body.
Depending upon the polarity and intensity of the induced magnetic
field, Rudraksha beads transmit subtle electrical and inductive
impulses with opposing polarity and intensity. When Rudraksha beads
are placed over the heart, they act to stabilize the heart beat.
Thus, the stated beneficial effects of the Rudraksha bead have been
proved scientifically as well.
Origins and Myths
The word Rudraksha has its
etymological beginnings in the Sanskrit words "Rudra" and "Aksha"
meaning Lord Shiva and Teardrops respectively.
According to "Shiva Purana", Lord Shiva once went into deep meditation
for the well being of all living creatures. When he woke up, he opened
his eyes and tear drops fell on the Earth. These tear drops took the
form of seeds that later on became the Rudraksha tree.
The Shaivite sect of Hinduism has a story about Shiva shedding a tear
on viewing the misfortunes of humanity. That single tear became the
Rudraksha tree and a symbol of his compassion.
Another tale about Rudraksha tells about Lord Shiva destroying the
fortress of the demon "Tripurasur". Lord Shiva had to use a very
powerful weapon - "Aaghor" to kill Tripurasur. This weapon created
mayhem and destructed everything. On realising the hapless plight of
living beings, tears fell from Lord Shiva's eyes in compassion. Thus,
Rudraksha tree was formed. Rudraksha literally stands for the eyes of
Shiva implying that since it was pleasant to the eyes of Rudra, it was
named in his honor.
Lord Shiva is always portrayed wearing rosaries of Rudraksha beads on
his head, arms and hands. With this came the religious, spiritual,
physical and materialistic significance of Rudraksha. It is believed
that the seed of Rudraksha contains the secrets of entire evolution of
the cosmos within it. The sages have been wearing Rudraksha for
centuries to cultivate mental, physical and health prowess to attain
fearlessness on their spiritual path to enlightenment.
According to "Shiv Purana", it is said that the one who wears a
Rudraksha around his hands, arms and head cannot be killed by a living
being. He would fearlessly roam the world in the form of Rudra and be
respected and honored by all.
Botanical Description of Rudraksha
According to the old mythological epic "Shiv Purana",
Rudraksha was the favorite tree of Lord Shiva and it grew in Gauda
land(present day Gangetic plains to foothills of Himalayas).
Botanical Name: Elaeocarpus Ganitrus
Tiliaceae, the Lime/Linden family.
The Rudraksha tree inhabits areas starting from Manila, Philippines
and passing through Myanmar to entire North-East India, Bangladesh,
Nepal and Bhutan. However, in present era, the Rudraksha tree is
localized only in Eastern Nepal due to suitable climatic conditions.
Rudraksha is a large, evergreen broad-leaved tree found in tropical
and sub-tropical areas at the altitudes ranging from seacoast to 2,000
meters above the sea level. The tree is a perennial i.e. grows
throughout the year and is about 50-200 feet high.
The main trunk of the Rudraksha tree is cylindrical with a grayish
white and rough textured bark. In Nature, leafy crown of a Rudraksha
tree takes a pyramidal shape. The leaves of Rudraksha tree are
shinning green on the upper side with a dull leathery dorsal side.
are white with fringed petals and they appear
appear in June and ripen by August-October.
They are globular in shape with a fleshy exterior. The bead present
inside is hard and tubercled.
Cultivation of Rudraksha Trees
Rudraksha farming is a difficult process due to the slow sprouting
from the beads. Depending on the humidity of the soil, it usually
takes 1-2 years for a tree to sprout. Rudraksha is grown in
subtropical climatic regions with temperature ranges of 25-30 degree
centigrade. The tree starts giving fruit after 7 years and fruits for
a long time after the 7-year period. A single Rudraksha tree bears
beads in all different faces or mukhis
at the same time. The
or faces are very rare. Most common Rudraksha
bead is the five faceted or panchmukhi
The environment and location of Rudraksha trees plays a major role in
the bead formation and the type of bead formed. e.g: The Himalayan
beads seem larger, heavier and more powerful due to the environment
they grow in.
Composition of a Rudraksha
Rudraksha is covered by a blue outer shell on ripening so it is also
called blueberry bead. The percentage compositions of the gaseous
elements present in a Rudraksha was determined by C-H-N Analyzer and
by Gas chromatography. Rudraksha beads contain 50.031 % carbon, 0.95%
nitrogen, 17.897% hydrogen and 30.53% oxygen.
Q: What are Rudraksha beads? Where are they available?
A: Botanically known as Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb., the Rudraksha
beads are the seeds of the Rudraksha fruit from Rudraksha trees.
Rudraksha trees are found mainly in South Eastern Asian Islands of
modern day Indonesia and parts of Kingdom of Nepal. Around 70% of the
Rudraksha trees are found in Indonesia, 25% in Nepal and 5% in India.
The Rudraksha beads have lines and faces called Mukhis.
Q: What is special about Rudraksha beads? Are Rudraksha beads used
only for meditation? Are the beads suitable only for people from a
A: Since ancient times, Asian saints and monks have worn the Rudraksha
beads because it increased their powers of concentration and
meditation. It also gave them great control over their mind. This kind
of state of mind is ideal even for modern day professionals.
These different faceted beads are beneficial for the entire mankind
because it selectively alters personality and mindsets in a positive
way. Rudraksha can rejuvenate our mind, body and soul, help us perform
to our full potential and enhance the overall quality of our life. The
anti aging property of Rudraksha is well experienced. The beads have a
positive effect on every aspect of life. They are helpful in
counteracting the malefic effects of planets.
Q: Can we wear a combination of different Mukhis? How do we decide
which combination of beads to wear?
A: Yes, we can wear a combination of all the Rudraksha beads. The
individual powers of the beads can be felt simultaneously. A pendant
of any Mukhi can also be worn. The beads can be chosen on the basis of
their properties. One may also choose to wear one Rudraksha bead of a
particular Mukhi or multiple beads of the same Mukhi since it enhances
the power of that bead. A combination of different Mukhi beads can be
worn to counteract the malefic effects of planets. Rudraksha Therapy
is more effective than gem therapy as Rudraksha not only pacifies the
negative influence of planets but also gives peace and comfort to the
Q: Can all wear Rudraksha? How long does it take to feel some
A: Yes, everyone irrespective of sex, age, caste, creed, sect or
cultural, ethnic, geographical and religious background can wear it.
The ancient Indian scriptures state that it takes about 40 days for
the effects of the Rudraksha bead to be felt. However, some people
experience certain changes immediately while a few take a longer time.
Wearing Rudraksha is auspicious and it brings a continuous beneficial
change in an individual's life.
Q: How is the genuineness of the beads tested? How do we choose a
good Rudraksha bead?
A: The genuineness of the Rudraksha bead is tested by a lot of
methods. But none of them are foolproof. Test like water test where
beads are placed in a glass of water and if they sink, they are said
to be genuine. However, the genuine unripe Rudraksha beads also float.
Other tests are the copper coins test where the bead movement decides
the genuineness. Fake Rudraksha may be checked by magnifying glass as
well. However, the best way to buy a genuine Rudraksha is through a
Q: What is the life of a Rudraksha bead? Can ladies and Non Hindus
A: The life of Rudraksha beads is very long. If well protected, they
can be passed on for generations. Anyone irrespective of religion,
caste, creed or sex can wear the Rudraksha beads. However, ladies
should not wear these beads during the menstrual cycle.
Q: How is Rudraksha helpful in controlling blood pressure? Does
Rudraksha help in sudden palpitations/nervousness?
A: Rudraksha beads transmit electrical impulses. When placed over the
heart, the Rudraksha stabilizes the wearer's heart beats. The
Ayurvedic system of treatment of blood pressure involves dipping 2
Five mukhi Rudraksha beads in water after sunset. Drink this water in
the morning as you get up. Copper vessels should not be used. Whenever
you feel nervous due to sudden shock, hold a Five Mukhi Rudraksha
tightly in your right palm for 10 minutes. You will start feeling warm
and regain your confidence.
Q: Can the family members keep interchanging Rudraksha beads, neck
malas or japa malas? Should we wear Rudraksha when we have to go to
the cremation ground?
A: No, Rudraksha beads or japa malas or neck malas should not be
interchanged amongst the family members. However, Rudraksha can be
willed and passed on to the next generation. No, one should not wear
Rudraksha while visiting the cremation ground.
Q: Can we wear Rudraksha in a ring?
A: Rudraksha beads must always be kept pure. Hence, wearing a
Rudraksha in the ring should be avoided as hands get dirty. The powers
of the bead get affected.
Q: Can children wear One Mukhi Rudraksha?
A: No, children should avoid wearing One Mukhi Rudraksha. This
Rudraksha requires a lot of self control which growing children might
not be able to cope up with. However, children respond very well to
lower Mukhi Rudrakshas.
Q: Is Rudraksha suited to all skin types?
A: The nature and essence of rudraksha is hot so some people cannot
wear it. Their skin show signs of allergy. In such cases, the
Rudraksha beads may be kept in the pooja room and daily prayers should
be offered to them.
Q: What precautions should be taken while wearing the Rudraksha
A: The following precautions should be followed :
- Ancient Puranas recommend taking bath with Rudraksha on the
body. However, Rudraksha should be protected from the action of soap
and talcum powder that dehydrate and clog the pores.
- Rudraksha may be worn on a regular basis. However, ladies should
take off Rudraksha during menstrual cycle. Rudraksha should not be
worn when going to a funeral.
- It is recommended that the mala should be taken off at night
before sleep and worn again in the morning after bath.
- Beads should be cleaned by dipping them into warm water
overnight. Then scrub then with soft bristle brush, wash again and
let them dry. Then apply sandalwood oil. The beads should be
purified by offering incense, sandalwood paste and chanting the seed
mantra of that Mukhi
Rudraksha & Nakshatras
Rudraksha beads are beneficial to all individuals and
have no negative effects. Rudraksha can be worn singly or as a
combination of different Mukhis. According to astrologers, at the time
of birth, the positioning of stars (Nakshatras) determines the
Rudraksha Mukhi to be worn. However, an individual can also wear any
Rudraksha Mukhi based on his desires/ needs to be fulfilled.
Some astrologers suggest the following Rudraksha Mukhis according to
the ruling planet:
Mukhi to be
The Ayurvedic system of treatment prescribes the
wearing of Rudraksha beads to relieve stress, anxiety, depression,
lack of concentration and palpitations. Rudraksha beads are also
supposed to have a positive effect on the heart and nerves. They are
also known for their anti-ageing effects, and electromagnetic and
Rudraksha beads are used for the treatment of cancer and other
diseases. The beads are either worn externally or boiled in milk and
then the milk is used as a curative. Different Mukhi Rudraksha dust is
also taken with water to alleviate the pain.
Different Mukhis of Rudraksha are also used for treatment of different
diseases like :
1 and 12
Heart, spine, diaphragm,
thymus, blood, veins, eye sight
gastric processes, breasts, lymphatic and non blood systems,
perspiration, saliva and sympathetic nervous system
Hands, arms, lungs,
sensory organs, thyroid glands, brain disorders
6 and 13
Throat, neck, kidneys,
sex organs, thyroid glands
Sex glands, adrenal
glands, red blood cells, stomach disorders, blood pressure
posterior lobe of the pituitary related to growth and thighs,
blood pressure disorders
7 and 14
depression, spleen, skeletal system including cartilage, skin,
lower leg from the knee to the ankle and anterior lobe of the
Skin problems, body pain
Nervous system disorders
Rudraksha Invocation & Pooja
Rudraksha beads should not be worn without
sanctifying them. They should be blessed and empowered by chanting the
specified mantras, performing the specific rites and rituals.
The "Shuddhikaran"(sanctification) pooja is performed prior to wearing
any Rudraksha bead/mala. The sanctification ceremony follows steps
- The Rudraksha bead is immersed overnight in oil.
- Sit on an "Asana" (straw mat) facing east.
- The beads are then washed while chanting the Shiva mantra "Om
Namah Shivay" with either
- "Panchgavya" which is a mixture of cow's dung, urine,
raw milk (unboiled), "Desi Ghee" (clarified oil) and curd or
- "Panchamrit" which is a mixture of raw milk(unboiled),
honey, curd, "Desi Ghee" (clarified oil) and Ganga Jal.
- After that the Rudraksha bead is washed with pure water(Ganga
Jal) chanting the Sadyojaat Mantra :
"Om Sadyojaatam Prapadyaami Sadyojataajava Namah,
Bhave Bhavenaati Bhave Bhavasvamaam Bhavodbhavay Namah".
- Then a sandalwood paste, "Ashatgandha" (a mixture of eight
fragrances) and "Kesar" (saffron) solution is made. The beads are
dipped in it for some time and are taken out while chanting the
Vaamdev Mantra :
"Om Vamdevaya Namo Jyeshthaay Namah Shreshthay,
Namo Rudraay Namah Kaalay Namah Kala,
Vikarannaay Namo Bal Vikaranaay Namo Balaay,
Namo Bala Pramathanaay Namo Sarva Bhoot,
Damanaay Namo Manomanaay Namah".
- While offering "Agarbati/Dhoop" (Incense), Aghor Mantra
is chanted :
"Om Aghorebhyo Ghorebhyo Ghor Ghor Tarebhaya,
Sarvebhya Sarva Sharvvebhyo Namaste Astu Rudra Roopebhyah".
- The Rudraksha bead is smeared with saffron chanting the
"Om Tatpurushaay Vidmahe Mahadevaay Dheemahi,
Tanno Rudrah Prachodayaat".
- Eeshaan Mantra is chanted on each bead :
"Om Eeshaanah Sarvavidyaanam Eeshwar,
Sarvabhootaanaam Brahmaadipati Brahmanaadhipati Brahma Shivome Astu
- Then the specified mantra for each Mukhi Rudraksha is chanted on
- These should be worn on a Monday morning after touching with
- After this Maha Mrityunjaya mantra is chanted nine times
"Om Triayambakam Yajamahey,
Sungandhim Pushti Vardanam,
Urvar Ukamiva Bandhanan, Mrityor Muksheeya Mamritat".
- After completing the steps described above, both hands should be
joined and the individual should chant :
"Maale Maale Mahaa Maale Sarvashakti Samanvite
Chaturvargaa Tvayinyistah Tasmaan Me Siddhidaa Bhav".
Types of Rudraksha
The Rudraksha beads are usually differentiated on the
basis of number of faces or Mukhis that appear on the bead. The bead
has tuberculated clefts and furrows that define its type. Rudrakshas
also vary in size from small (found in plains) to very big (found in
trees growing in Himalayas). A smooth Rudraksha is also found but it
is very rare and very expensive.
According to the ancient scriptures, Mukhis are numbered from 1 to 38.
Lord Shiva's three eyes represent the Sun, Moon and Fire. The
Rudraksha beads born out of the tears of his solar eye are brown in
color and are of 12 types. Those born of his lunar eye are fair and of
16 types. His Fiery eye's tears gave birth to black Rudraksha which
are of 10 types.
The different Mukhi Rudraksha are also divided on the basis of size
and availability :
- Collector Beads are giant in size, heavy and emit high
energy. These are rare Rudraksha beads that are produced in limited
quantity every season. The Rudraksha Collector beads have a
guarantee certificate also. The Collector beads comprise of easily
available Mukhis (1-14).
- Rare Rudraksha Beads are not available easily and
comprise of Mukhis from 15 to 22 and Trijuti/Tribhagi Rudraksha.
- Other Rudraksha Beads are so called due to their special
shape. Gaurishankar Rudraksha, Garbh Gauri Rudraksha and Ganesha
Rudraksha have been named so due to their resemblance to the
Easily Available Rudraksha
The Two Mukhi Rudraksha harbors immense mystical
powers and controls the bad effects of Moon. It has the following
- The Two Mukhi Rudraksha symbolizes the united form of Shiva and
Parvati also known as Arthnarishwor/Ardhnarishwar which brings unity
in form, speech and meaning.
- 2 Mukhi Rudraksha is ruled by Moon and is believed that this
Rudraksha carries the entire evolution of the cosmos within it.
- It is oval in shape, has two natural faces and is available in
two varieties-Nepal and Haridwar.
- The wearer of Two Mukhi Rudraksha leads a sacred and peaceful
life and the wearer's family also finds peace and unity.
- This Rudraksha is helpful in maintaining marital harmony.
- 2 Mukhi Rudraksha grants riches and virtuous children to its
- This Rudraksha bead is recommended for people suffering from
ailments of the heart, lung, brain, left eye, kidney and intestine.
- Vaishnavas consider the 2 Mukhi Rudraksha as a symbol of Lord
- It should be worn on a Monday.
- 2 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn with a red thread which leads
to maximum benefits for the wearer.
- Mantra : 'Om Shiva Shaktihi Namaha'
Three Mukhi Rudraksha bead is one of the most sought
after Rudraksha beads due to its memory enhancing powers. It has the
following characteristics :
- Three Mukhi Rudraksha is called the Saraswati Roopam and is much
in demand amongst students.
- This Rudraksha is the symbol of Fire and is known for stopping
all problems and changes an individual's life completely. Like fire,
this Rudraksha bead engulfs past sins and helps in purifying the
- Ruled by the planet Mars, Three Mukhi Rudraksha bead is a life
- 3 Mukhi Rudraksha beads are round or oval in shape with three
lines or faces.
- The wearer of this bead is blessed with improved memory and
- This Rudraksha contains the Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh
and thus engulfs the entire universe. Therefore, this bead is
considered one of the most powerful beads.
- 3 Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended for people suffering from
depression, schizophrenia, blood defects, plague, small pox,
digestive problems, blood pressure, weakness, spontaneous abortion
- The Rudraksha bead should be worn around the neck to increase
the spiritual level and improve knowledge.
- Mantra : 'Om Kleem Namah'
The Four Mukhi Rudraksha bead influences the wearer's
creative power and knowledge. This Rudraksha has the following
- Four Mukhi Rudraksha symbolizes Brahma and is also called Brahma
Rupam and Chaturanan.
- Ruled by the planet Mercury.
- This Rudraksha bead has four equidistant lines from head to
bottom signifying the four facets of Brahma leading to an eternal
search for knowledge, meaning, action or fate and freedom.
- The 4 Mukhi Rudraksha is good for meditation, regulation of
logical thinking, positive thinking, creativity, wit and
- Four Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended to be worn by individuals
suffering from mental disease, paralysis, yellow fever, blood
circulation, fever, cough, etc.
- This Rudraksha is beneficial to scientists, researchers,
artists, intellectuals, journalists and writers.
- 4 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn on Monday.
- This Rudraksha should be worn in a red thread in the right hand
or around the neck.
- Mantra :'Om Hreem Namah'
The Five Mukhi Rudraksha is one of the most common of
all Rudraksha beads. It destroys the five main sins : Kama (Lust),
Krodha (Anger), Lobha (Greed), Moha (Attachment) and Ahankar (Unwanted
The wearers of Five Mukhi Rudraksha are known to get maximum physical
and materialistic benefits. There are a lot of documented proofs
proving the effectivity of wearing a Panchmukhi Rudraksha. It has the
following characteristics :
- The 5 Mukhi Rudraksha symbolizes Pancheswar or Panchmukhi Shiva.
It also represents another form of Shiva- KaalAgni.
- Ruled by the planet Jupiter, the Five Mukhi Rudraksha helps in
enhancing the memory.
- The wearer of this Rudraksha is always at peace, has a strong
memory and utilises his/her learning appropriately.
- 5 Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended for people suffering from
diseases of heart, liver, kidneys, feet, thigh, ear, blood pressure,
stress, diabetes, obese, bone marrow, etc.
- It is believed that the wearer of this Rudraksha does not die of
an untimely death.
- The Five Mukhi Rudraksha affects all the pressure points ("Chakra")
of the human body and maintains a distinct balance.
- This Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday.
- Three Five Mukhi Rudraksha beads of the size of an Indian
gooseberry ("Amla") should be tied with a red string and worn around
- Mantra: 'Om Hreem Namah'
Six Mukhi Rudraksha works very well on emotional
traumas and it removes the ill effects of misunderstandings from any
relationship. Six Mukhi Rudraksha is a saviour from worldly sorrows. A
combination of a Four Mukhi Rudraksha and a Six Mukhi Rudraksha
enhances the vocal & mental power of the wearer.
Six Mukhi Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- 6 Mukhi Rudraksha symbolizes Lord Shiva's second son-Kumar
Kartikeya and imparts learning, wisdom, knowledge and an increase in
an individual's will power.
- Ruled by the planet Venus, the Six Mukhi Rudraksha is essential
for harmonious relationships.
- It is said that this Rudraksha has been blessed by Goddess
Parvati and so is worn by women desiring to have a child.
- The 6 Mukhi Rudraksha is very good for company managers,
businessmen, journalists and editors, etc.
- This Rudraksha is known to enhance concentration, mental
sharpness, will power, self confidence, self-esteem and sexual
- The wearer of 6 Mukhi is blessed with success, fame, physical
strength, luxury, wisdom, wealth, name, charismatic personality,
prosperity, blissful family life and positive outlook towards life.
- Beneficial for those who needs protection from negative
energies, problems of reproductive organs, urinary tract, etc.
- Three beads of Six Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn by stringing
them into a red thread. It should be worn on the right arm while
chanting mantras of Kartikeya.
- Mantra : 'Om Hreem Hum Namah'
In Vaishnavism, the Seven Mukhi Rudraksha is believed
to represent Avanta (Shesha Nag), the king of serpents who is believed
to be an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Each of the seven faces represents
one great serpent. The seven serpents are - Anantha, Karkataka,
Takshak, Shankhanaad, Pundarika, Visholban and Karisha. It is believed
that snakes never bother the wearer of this Rudraksha.
The Seven Mukhi Rudraksha is also said to be "saptmatradhi Daivat,
saptashyadevat and saptmuni Daivat" and has the following
- 7 Mukhi Rudraksha is regarded as a symbol of Anang Shiva. Some
people also regard it as a symbol of Saptarishi(Seven Greatest Sages
- This Rudraksha is also said to represent the Goddess Mahalaxmi.
- Ruled by the planet Saturn, the Seven Mukhi Rudraksha has a life
of a thousand years if well taken care of.
- The wearer of this Rudraksha reaps the positive benefits of huge
financial gains, good health, fame, peace, freedom from diseases and
- The Seven Mukhi Rudraksha bead is especially recommended for
people in business. The energized beads should be placed in the
prayer room or in the main locker where the money is kept.
- This Rudraksha sublimates the malefic effects of Saturn or "Shani".
- The 7 Mukhi Rudraksha is beneficial to individuals suffering
from weakness, colic pain, bone and muscle pains, paralysis,
impotency, neurological problems and to handicapped people.
- Seven Mukhi can be worn on a daily basis due to its positive
psychological and physical effects.
- Two Seven Mukhi Rudraksha beads should be strung in a red thread
and worn while chanting the mantra. It can also be kept in the
locker after chanting of the mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Hum Namah'
The Eight Mukhi Rudraksha is the reflection of Lord
Ganesha, Lord Shiva's second son who is worshipped before all the
other gods. This Rudraksha increases an individual's pleasure and
decreases his/her difficulties.
According to Shaivism, this Rudraksha is helpful to an individual for
attainment of various "Riddhi" and "Siddhi" that would eventually lead
him to "Shivloka" ("Moksha"/salvation). The Eight Mukhi Rudraksha has
the following characteristics :
- Eight Mukhi Rudraksha represents Lord Ganesha and its wearer
becomes unaffected by all miseries - physical or mental.
- This Rudraksha is ruled by "Rahu" and its malefic effects are
similar to those of "Shani".
- 8 Mukhi Rudraksha keeps a check on the bad effects of "Rahu"
like snake bites, bad health, poverty, mental stress etc.
- Wearer of this Rudraksha is blessed with strength of character
and mind, wisdom, a long successful life, happiness, good health,
prosperity and increase in confidence.
- Recommended for writers and intellectuals, the Eight Mukhi
Rudraksha also helps in increasing concentration.
- 8 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn on Monday. Only one bead strung
on a red thread is enough to bring success to an individual.
- Mantra : 'Om Ganeshaya Namah'
The Nine Mukhi Rudraksha is the form of Goddess
Durga(Shakti). It contains the power of Nine Deities or NavDurga. The
worshippers of Shakti must wear this Rudraksha to increase their self
power and mental concentration. This Rudraksha is usually worn on the
occasion of Navratri to obtain the blessings of mother Goddess Durga.
The Nine Mukhi Rudraksha is ruled by the planet "Ketu" whose malefic
effects are similar to those of "Rahu" and "Shani". This Rudraksha
controls these effects and has the following characteristics :
- The 9 Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Mother Durga. It is also a
symbol of Lord Bhairava Yama (The Lord of Death) and Sage Kapila.
- Represented by Ketu (Dragon's Tail), this Rudraksha helps
counteract the malefic effects of Ketu. Ketu causes mental fatigue,
poverty, helplessness, inactivity of mind and body.
- The 9 Mukhi Rudraksha is blessed with the power of Navadurga
which stimulates mind and body, enhances mental sharpness and
alertness, increases physical strength, concentration power,
patience and control over one's anger and enhanced communication
- The wearer is also blessed with the grace and power of Bhairava.
He obtains honour, attains fearlessness and pleasures of family
- 9 Mukhi Rudraksha is essential for the worshipper of Shakti. The
wearer is blessed with fearlessness, energy, fame, respect, dynamism
and a successful life. This Rudraksha imparts Bhoga(Life's
pleasures) and Moksha(Salvation).
- Recommended for people suffering from fever, eye disorders, skin
diseases, lung diseases, bowel and body pain.
- Nine faced Rudraksha is worn on a Monday. One bead should be
capped in either gold or silver, strung on a red thread and worn
with chanting of mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Hreem Hum Namaha' , 'Navdurgayai Namah'.
The Ten Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Lord Vishnu
who, according to Indian mythology, is the Preserver of this Universe.
In ancient literature, He is referred to as the eternal, all pervading
spirit. Lord Vishnu is often depicted in human form reclining on the
great serpent - Sheshanag.
Lord Vishnu is depicted as having four hands :
- One hand holds a lotus, the petals of which symbolize the
unfolding of creation and all things that are good-eternity,
- Second hand holds a conch from which all existence is said to
- Third hand holds a discus which is a symbol of the cosmic mind
and a reminder of the wheel of time.
- Fourth hand holds a mace which is the symbol of notion of
The Ten faced Rudraksha encompasses all these individual symbols of
Lord Vishnu. It has the following characteristics :
- Ten Mukhi Rudraksha symbolises Lord Vishnu, the Preserver of the
Universe. It is believed that this Rudraksha also represents
Dusavatara (10 Incarnations of Lord Vishnu).
- It is not ruled by any planet.
- According to the Srimad Bhagvat Purana, the Ten Mukhi Rudraksha
has a strong positive effect on adverse planetary effects, evil
power, misfortunes, miseries and worldly sufferings.
- In the Shiva Purana, it is mentioned that an individual,
irrespective of caste, creed, religion, nationality and gender can
wear the 10 Mukhi Rudraksha for attaining fame and success in
- The wearer of Ten faced Rudraksha attains a sense of security,
develops a sound mind, achieves happiness and success and is
safeguarded against evil influences.
- Recommended for individuals suffering from adverse effects of
all nine planets.
- The 10 Mukhi Rudraksha is worn on a Sunday. It should be capped
in gold or silver, strung on a red thread and worn while chanting
- Mantra : 'Om Hreem Namah' , 'Shree Narayanaaye Namah', 'Shree
Vedic scriptures state that Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha is
the symbol of Ekadash Rudra
(eleven forms of Lord Shiva). The
eleven forms of Lord Shiva are : Ahirbhutanya, Bhav, Bhim, Chand,
Kapali, Pingal, Shasta, Shumbh, Virupaksh and Vilohit and Hanuman.
Hanuman is the eleventh form of Lord Shiva.
The 11 Mukhi Rudraksha is regarded as very auspicious in religious
rituals and is worn by sages and saints during their meditation.
Eleven faced Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Ekadash Rudra. It is also
a symbol of Lord Indra(The Lord of all gods) and has the combined
powers of eleven gods stored within it.
- This Rudraksha is not ruled by any planet and it is believed
that the eleven Rudras live in the eleven faces of the Eleven Mukhi
- This Rudraksha grants a long, prosperous life to its wearer. It
also grants an individual's wishes regarding children and loved
- The husbands of the women who wear Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha are
blessed with great luck and a long life.
- It is said that the wearer of an Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha gets the
same merits as those obtained on sacrifice of a thousand horses or
gift of a thousand cows.
- Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha bead is also said to grant salvation as
the wearer is not born again.
- Eleven faced Rudraksha is a symbol of Lord Hanuman and so the
wearer is blessed with learning, virtues, cleverness, fearlessness,
healthy life and wisdom.
- This Rudraksha bead is also a symbol of Lord Indra and thus it
brings pleasure and happiness, courage and confidence to the one who
wears the 11 Mukhi Rudraksha.
- Eleven faced Rudraksha should be kept in a a safe place of
worship or with jewelry. It brings wealth and prosperity to the
- Recommended for maintenance of neuropsychology of an individual.
- The 11 Mukhi Rudraksha should be capped in either silver or
gold, strung in a red thread. It shoul be touched to a Shivalinga
and worn while chanting mantras.
- This Rudraksha should always be worn on top of the head for
- Mantra : 'Om Hreem Hum Namah', 'Om Shree Rudray Namah'
The Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha is the symbol of twelve
virtues of Lord Sun. It is an embodiment of twelve facets of Lord
Surya which are :
- Light of Universal Friendship
- Light of Compelling Radiance
- Dispeller of Darkness or Ignorance
- Shining Principle
- All Pervading Light
- Light of Mystic Fire
- Golden Colored One Healing Gold
- Light obvious and subtle as at dawn and dusk
- Light of the Sage - an aspect of Vishnu
- Light of Enlightenment
- Light that Removes Afflictions
- Brilliance - The Light of Intelligence
The 12 Mukhi Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha represents Lord Surya or Sun.
- It is ruled by Sun and the wearer is blessed with the quality of
sun - to rule and move with radiance and strength.
- This Rudraksha is ideal ministers, administrators, businessmen
- Twelve faced Rudraksha blesses the wearer with wealth,
authority, protection against accidents, fearlessness, happiness and
- This Rudraksha bead is recommended for people suffering from
gastric and oesophagus problems, bowel movement, heart diseases,
lung diseases and skin problems.
- Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha bead should be capped in either gold or
silver with a red thread and worn while chanting the mantras.
- Mantra : 'Aum Kraum Sraum Raum Namah'
The Thirteen Mukhi Rudraksha represents Lord
Indra(Lord of all gods). This Rudraksha fulfills all earthly desires
and helps in attainment of eight Siddhis (accomplishments). It has
virtues like love, affection, beauty and attraction as its attributes.
The 13 Mukhi Rudraksha has the following attributes :
- Thirteen faced Rudraksha is the symbol of Lord Indra and Lord
- It is ruled by the planet of love - Venus.
- This Rudraksha bead should be worn by researchers of medical
science and people connected to chemical science.
- The wearer of Thirteen faced Rudraksha is blessed with riches,
success, fame, good luck, honor, power of authority, charismatic
personality, high level of social and financial status and worldly
- This Rudraksha bead is helpful for meditation and spiritual
attainment and also causes material upliftment.
- Thirteen Mukhi Rudraksha bead has a special power of hypnotism.
It empowers a person with the ability to woo another individual.
- Wearers of the 13 Mukhi Rudraksha have the power to control
their destinies. The wearers can also control and bewitch animals.
- Mantra - 'Om Hreem Namah'
The Fourteen Mukhi Rudraksha is called the "Deva
Mani"(precious divine thing) and is also one of the rarest Rudraksha
to be found. The Shiva Purana says that the 14 Mukhi Rudraksha is
regarded as the favorite possession by humans and Gods and Goddesses
and it rules the cosmic world.
The Fourteen Mukhi Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- 14 Mukhi Rudraksha is the symbol of Hanuman - the eleventh form
of Lord Shiva.
- Ruled by the planet Saturn, this Rudraksha helps counteract the
malefic effects of Saturn.
- The wearer of Fourteen faced Rudraksha attains spiritual freedom
and the virtues of Lord Shiva.
- Fourteen faced Rudraksha is said to awaken the sixth sense or
intuition power by which the wearer can foresee the future
happenings. This helps the wearer to decide on his course of action
against all calamities, miseries and worries.
- This Rudraksha is helpful in providing riches, cure to ailments,
acheiving salvation, strength, enthusiasm.
- The 14 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn by the couple who have no
- This Rudraksha bead imparts fourteen kinds of knowledge and
influences every facet of life.
- Recommended to be worn by people suffering from ailments caused
due to the malefic effects of Saturn and to ensure safety and
- The 14 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be
capped in gold or silver, strung with a red thread and worn on the
chest as a necklace or on the forehead as a third eye or on the
- Mantra : 'Om Shivaya Namaha'
Rare Rudraksha Beads
The One Mukhi Rudraksha is
the main Rudraksha amongst all the available types. It is the rarest
of all Rudraksha beads. The round shape is a rarity and is more
expensive. The most commonly available variety is the half moon shaped
One Mukhi Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- It represents Lord Shiva himself and symbolizes the attainment
of godhood, supreme truth and super consciousness.
- Ek Mukhi is ruled by the Sun and is the harbinger of peace and
- One Mukhi Rudraksha comes in the round shape or cashew nut (half
- Generally, the person who worships or wears the 1 Mukhi obtains
not only all the worldly pleasures but remains unaffected by them.
- The wearer of ek Mukhi Rudraksha has increased powers of
concentration and a fit mental constitution.
- 1 Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended for individuals suffering from
headaches, right eye disorders and heart diseases.
- It should be worn on a Monday.
- One Mukhi Rudraksha should be capped with gold or silver and
worn round the neck or placed at the worshiping place with the
chanting of mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Namaha Shivaya, Om Hreem Namaha'
Fifteen Mukhi Rudraksha is a rare Rudraksha bead and
it represents Lord Pashupatinath. Most of its effects resemble those
of a Fourteen Mukhi Rudraksha. It is considered a very precious
Rudraksha and is always placed in a very sacred place like the puja or
The Fifteen faced Rudraksha has the following attributes :
- 15 Mukhi Rudraksha is the symbol of Lord Pashupatinath.
- This Rudraksha bead is ruled by "Rahu" and is essential for
pacifying emotional disturbances caused by worldly bondages.
- The wearer of Fifteen Mukhi Rudraksha is never bereft of wealth,
is never inflicted with any skin disease, is helped in attaining
salvation, has high intuitive powers and increased energy levels.
- Fifteen Faced Rudraksha also helps channelize thoughts and to
remain focussed. It increases the concentration power and memory.
- Recommended for increasing intuition power, lateral and abstract
- The 15 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be
capped in either gold or silver, strung with a red thread and worn
while chanting the mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Pashupataya Namaha'
Sixteen Mukhi Rudraksha is the combined form of
Vishnu and Shiva and thus it represents victory. It is another of the
rare varieties of Rudraksha.
In ancient scriptures, it is said that the Sixteen faced Rudraksha
should be placed in a sacred place like the prayer room so that the
entire house is enveloped with positive energy, harmony, peace and
prosperity. The Sixteen Mukhi Rudraksha has the following attributes
- 16 Mukhi Rudraksha is the Hari-Shankar Roopam Rudraksha.
- This Rudraksha is ruled by "Ketu" and counteracts its bad
- The wearer of Sixteen Faced Rudraksha is blessed with
prosperity, cordial relations, harmony and love in the family.
- The house in which a 16 Mukhi Rudraksha is kept is always free
from theft, robbery or fire problems.
- Recommended for people suffering from diseases like
tuberculosis, leprosy, lung diseases.
- Mantra : 'Om Namaha Shivaya'
The Seventeen Mukhi
Rudraksha is called the Sita-Rama Roopam and it represents the
combined forces of Sita and Rama. It is a rare Rudraksha bead.
The Seventeen Mukhi Rudraksha bead has the following characteristics :
- 17 Mukhi Rudraksha is the Sita-Rama Roopam Rudraksha. It is also
a symbol of Lord Vishwakarma (The builder of materialistic world).
- The wearer of this Rudraksha is blessed with success, improved
memory, awakened kundalini and increased wealth.
- This Rudraksha is especially useful for attaining physical
assets like property and vehicles.
- Recommended for people suffering from memory loss, lack of
- The Seventeen Faced Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday after
capping it in either gold or silver and stringing a red thread.
- Mantra : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
The Eighteen Mukhi Rudraksha is a rare Rudraksha and
is associated with Mother Earth. It is also a representation of
Bhairava form of Lord Shiva. Bhairava is a terrible and angry form of
Lord Shiva. So the possessor of this Rudraksha is saved from all
terrible effects on his life.
The Eighteen Faced Rudraksha bead has attributes like:
- 18 Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Mother Earth and is also
called Bhairava Roopam.
- Eighteen Faced Rudraksha is ideal for people connected to any
kind of trade or work related to earth. Thus, it is suitable for
dealers of stones, iron ore, gems, builders, architects, property
dealers, contractors, architects, farmers, etc.
- The wearer of 18 Mukhi Rudraksha is blessed with all kinds of
fame, respect, success, fearlessness. It also prevents accidents and
the bad effects of planets.
- Eighteen Mukhi Rudraksha bead is beneficial for pregnant women
in protecting their child.
- Recommended for counteracting ailments like loss of power,
neurological breakdown, mental stress.
- Mantras : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
The Nineteen Mukhi Rudraksha imparts victory and
knowledge to its wearer. It is associated with Lord Vishnu and so is
called the Narayana Roopam Rudraksha.
The Nineteen Faced Rudraksha has the following attributes :
- 19 Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Vishnu Narayan and is called
the Narayana Roopam Rudraksha.
- The wearer or worshipper of this Rudraksha attains victory of
knowledge over ignorance.
- The Nineteen Mukhi Rudraksha Bead bestows all the worldly
pleasures and immense wealth on the wearer.
- Recommended for people suffering from blood disorders and spinal
- This Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be capped
in either gold or silver, strung with a red thread and worn while
- Mantras : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
Twenty Mukhi Rudraksha is a rare Rudraksha
symbolizing Brahma. It has the following attributes:
- Twenty Faced Rudraksha is a representation of Lord Brahma and is
a talisman used against the spirits, ghosts, etc.
- The wearer of this Rudraksha is blessed with great knowledge,
mental peace and improved visual power.
- 20 Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended for people suffering from eye
- It is said that snake bites are cured by holding this Rudraksha.
- Twenty Mukhi Rudraksha Bead should be worn on a Monday. It
should be capped in either gold or silver, strung with a red thread
and worn while chanting mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
Twenty One Mukhi
Twenty One Mukhi Rudraksha is represented by Lord
Shiva himself. According to the ancient scriptures, when Twenty One
Faced Rudraksha is placed in the place of worship, all the gods align
themselves around it. This brings peace, harmony and prosperity to the
house and it's members.
This Rudraksha has certain characteristics like :
- 21 Mukhi Rudraksha is a symbol of Lord shiva. It also represents
Lord Kuber (God of wealth).
- It is said that by wearing this Rudraksha, remission from the
sin of "brahmahatya" (killing a cow or a Brahmin) can be obtained.
- The wearer of Twenty One Mukhi Rudraksha is blessed with wealth,
health, achievements, prosperity. The wearer's spiritual knowledge
increases and he/she walks on the path of "Sanatana dharma".
- This Rudraksha bead helps in opening the third eye chakra which
governs awareness and enhances clairvoyance.
- The 21 Mukhi Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be
capped in either gold or silver, strung with red thread and worn
while chanting mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
Trijuti Rudraksha is a combined form of three
Rudraksha and is a rare phenomenon. It is said to be a combination of
Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. It has the following characteristics :
- Trijuti Rudraksha represents Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva and is
also called Gauri Paath.
- This Rudraksha bead is said to impart Brahma Gyan to its wearer.
- The wearer of a Trijuti Rudraksha enjoys super power in society.
Wealth, confidence, health and a universal appeal is imparted to the
wearer of Trijuti/Tribhagi Rudraksha.
- This Rudraksha safeguards the body against all external and
- The Trijuti/Tribhagi Rudraksha Beads should be worn on a Monday.
It should be capped in either gold or silver, strung with a red
thread and worn while chanting mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Namah Shivay'.
Other Rudraksha Beads
GauriShankar Rudraksha is a conjoined form of Lord
shiva and Mother Parvati. It is a rare phenomenon. In Puranas, the
bead of GauriShankar is regarded as best for a peaceful family life. A
man who worships this Rudraksha and keeps it in his prayer room reaps
all the benefits of an obstacle free, happy and successful family
Gauri Shankar Rudraksha has the following characteristics :
- This Rudraksha represents Lord Shiva and Mother Parvati.
- Ruled by Moon, the Gauri Shankar Rudraksha is said to cause the
expansion and development of this Universe.
- The wearer of the Gouri Shankar Rudraksha is blessed with
comfort and peace in the family. This Rudraksha causes expansion of
the Universe that provides fertility. Hence, it provides excellent
relations between husband and wife.
- The GauriShankar Rudraksha also helps in meditation. Thus, it is
worn by sages who try to unite with Lord Shiva through meditation.
- Gouri Shankar Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be
capped in either gold or silver, strung with a red thread and worn
while chanting mantras.
- Mantra: 'Om Gaurishankarey Namah'.
Garbh Gauri Rudraksha
Garbh Gauri Rudraksha is the smaller form of
GauriShankar Rudraksha. In GauriShankar, both the conjoined beads are
of similar size but in Garbh Gauri Rudraksha, one bead is smaller than
Garbh Gauri Rudraksha has attributes like :
- Garbh Gauri Rudraksha represents Goddess Parvati and Lord
Ganesha. The smaller bead represents Ganesha and bigger bead
represents Goddess Parvati.
- This Rudraksha is best for the women who have problems in
conceiving a child and are prone to abortion.
- It is recommended that this Rudraksha should be worn around the
neck by women for maximum effect.
- Garbh Gauri Rudraksha maintains family unity and good relations
between mother and child.
- Garbh Gauri Rudraksha is worn on a Monday. It should be capped
in either gold or silver, strung with a red thread and worn while
chanting the mantras.
- Mantra: 'Om Garbh Gauriye Namah'
Ganesha Rudraksha has a natural trunk like protrusion
similar to the trunk of Lord Ganesha. It has the following
- Ganesha Rudraksha symbolizes Lord Ganesha.
- This Rudraksha is beneficial in obtaining blessings of Lord
- Ganesha Rudraksha blesses the wearer with progress and lessens
the obstacles in the wearers' or possessors' path.
- It is recommended to be worn to achieve perfection in every
facet of life.
- Ganesha Rudraksha should be worn on a Monday. It should be
capped with either gold and silver, strung with a red thread and
worn while chnating of mantras.
- Mantra : 'Om Gang Ganpataya Namoh Namah, 'Om Ganeshaya Namah', 'Om
Identification of Rudraksha
Rudraksha is found in Nature. However, due to a
growing demand for Rudraksha beads, traders have started manufacturing
rarely faceted beads such as the One Mukhi Rudraksha. Beads of
Areca/Betel nut, Nutmeg or Tulsi are used to make Rudraksha Beads.
Identification of Fake Rudraksha
While buying a Rudraksha bead, an individual should keep the following
points in mind :
- The Five Mukhi Rudraksha are found easily and abundantly.
- Rudraksha having 2,3,4,6 and 7 Mukhis are found abundantly and
hence their prices are not high.
- One Mukhi Rudraksha round variety has never been found till date
and is thus a myth.
- One Mukhi Half Moon is genuine and the price is low.
- Round One Mukhi Rudraksha is the most highly sold bead and is
faked in many forms by unscrupulous suppliers.
- Some beads have a stem implanted in them artificially to give a
- Traders sell fake One Mukhi which have serpent, trishul, lingam
etc. carved on them. A real Rudraksha bead does not have these
- Fake Rudraksha are made by carving extra lines in lower Mukhi
beads to obtain the rare and expensive higher Mukhi beads.
- GauriShankar Rudraksha are faked by gluing together two
Methods for Identification
There are a number of methods for identification of fake Rudraksha
Sometimes rare Rudraksha beads like GauriShankar Rudraksha or a
Trijuti are made by artificially joining two or three Rudraksha with
the help of glue etc. In case of doubt, such Rudraksha bead should be
placed in boiling water for 20-30 minutes. A sharp discoloration will
take place at the joint in case of artificial Rudraksha.
There is another water test that is conducted as well. The bead is
placed in a glass of water. If it floats it is rejected. However, this
test is not very reliable because :
- An unripe but genuine Rudraksha will also float in water.
- Fake Rudraksha bead made of wood and impregnated with lead will
also sink in water.
- Rare Rudraksha beads like One Mukhi are sometimes made by
tampering with higher Mukhi beads. This Rudraksha will also sink.
The most reliable test is to cut the Rudraksha bead. One will find the
same number of compartments as the number of lines. However, the
drawback is that the bead is destroyed.
This test is to find whether the beads exhibit properties like
inductance, capacitance, conduction of electric current etc.
Copper Coin Test
It is a general belief that a Rudraksha bead when placed between two
copper coins will rotate slightly either towards the right or the
left. This happens due to the physical and magnetic properties of the
Rudraksha beads. This test requires a high level of expertise and the
buyer generally buys the bead that rotates towards right.
The Mukhis of a natural Rudraksha look like closed lips with deep
natural partitions. Sometimes Rudraksha are faked by sticking thorny
parts of one Rudraksh onto another one. This difference could be
caught by a 10x lens.
However, none of these tests are fool proof. The best way to buy a
Rudraksha is to buy it from a trusted authorized supplier.
Rudraksha as Accessories
Rudraksha is increasingly being used as a fashion
accessory and as an alternative method of treatment. The medicinal
properties of Rudraksha have also been proved and so the trend of
wearing Rudraksha is on the rise. The various Rudraksha accessories
Rudraksha malas are made of Rudraksha or as a
combination mala with other items like corals, crystal, silver beads,
etc. The different types of malas available are :
Rudraksha bracelets are strung together in silver in
combination with various other beads like aquamarine, malachite,
amethyst, opal, tiger eye, crystals, etc. Bracelets are made of high
quality silver with approximate length of about 8" - 8.5". Each
combination has different effects on the wearer. Each type of bead has
distinctive properties which when combined with Rudraksha gives
increased benefits to the wearer.
Rudraksha and Aquamarine
bracelet has a beneficial effect on
heart problems. Aquamarine is beneficial for love, courage and peace
and is a crystal for healing and maintaining balance in the body.
Helps in the functioning of throat and mind. Aquamarine supports the
is a semi precious stone used for relieving stress
and tensions and helps in functioning of liver and spleen,
strengthening the circulatory system, pineal and pituitary glands of
the brain. Malachite supports the heart and solar plexus chakras and
aids in sleeping.
is the stone of wisdom. This stone helps harmonize and
stabilize consciousness, enhances spiritual growth and creates an
inner awareness. Amethyst protects the wearer in stressful situations
and supports the crown chakra.
brings happy dreams and good changes in life of the wearer
since it carries the combined energies of the Sun and the Moon. The
opal is tied to the emotional side of our nature and brings clarity of
thoughts and spontaneity.
is believed to enhance confidence, focus the mind,
and enable the user to see clearly without illusion. Tiger Eye
supports the solar plexus chakra.
are helpful in increasing intellect and spiritual
The Rudraksha pendants are available in various
designs and combinations.
has 2 Four Mukhi Rudraksha beads and 1 Six
Mukhi bead capped in silver and strung on a red thread. This pendant
is useful for growth of career and academics. The wearer achieves
immense professional success.
has 2 Six Mukhi and 1 Thirteen Mukhi
Rudraksha bead capped in silver and strung in a red thread. This
pendant blesses the wearer with all luxuries in life.
Lakshmi Ganesha Pendant
has 2 Seven Mukhi and 1 Eight Mukhi
Rudraksha. This pendant is binded in silver and strung on a red
thread. It helps the wearer in gaining money and power and in leading
a blissful life.
Hanuman Shakti Pendant
has a combination of 1 Eleven Mukhi, 1
Fourteen Mukhi and 1 Ten Mukhi Rudraksha beads. It provides the wearer
with name, fame and keeps him away from any negative feelings. This
pendant also protects the wearer from mental problems.
Career Power Pendant
has 1 Two Mukhi, 1 Four Mukhi and 1 Seven
Mukhi Rudraksha bound in silver and strung on a red thread. It helps
in achieving a good career and progress in life.
Marital Bliss Power Pendant
has 2 Two Mukhi and 1 GauriShankar
Rudraksha and blesses the wearer with marital bliss and unity and
harmony in life. This pendant is binded in silver and strung in a red
Protection Power Pendant
has 1 Nine Mukhi, 1 Ten Mukhi and 1
Eleven Mukhi Rudraksha and it imparts energy, power, dynamism and
fearlessness. It is ideal for healers and is bounded in silver and
strung on a red thread.
Business Luck Power Pendant
has 1 Seven Mukhi, 1 Ten Mukhi and
1 Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha bound in silver and strung on a red thread.
It helps in attaining success in business and private/public service,
increasing prosperity and good luck.
Surya (Sun) Shakti Power Pendant
has 1 Eleven Mukhi, 1 One
Mukhi and 1 Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha bead. This pendant blesses the
wearer with power, health, wealth and good luck. The One Mukhi
Rudraksha is of the half moon variety.